Able Anglers is a Mental Health Respite Service, primarily based around fishing and water activities, however, we have a more serious agenda.
Our agenda is “Reel Opportunities For Real People”. How do we do this? simple really, we have a passion for helping people achieve their goals and make life-long friendships along the way.
Our activities take the impossible and make them possible, some of these activities include;
- Moreton Island Tours
- Moreton Bay Cruises
- V8 Supercar Rides
- Circus Outings
- Photography Groups
- Fishing Groups
- Boating Groups
- Jet Ski Groups
That is all just in 2020, while we are fast approaching the Christmas holidays, our services will continue to operate. During this period, we are planning some of the awesomeness for 2021.
The activities we are hosting and running during 2021 will be amazing! Some of the events will be events in your wildest dreams!
Able Anglers are all about making activities accessible, some of the amazing things we have achieved in 2020 are;
- One of our wheelchair participants rode a Jet Ski for the first time ever, believing they would never do it in their wildest dreams, we made it happen!
- A participant, also a wheelchair participant had dreamt about their time at Moreton Island before they “got sick”, Able Anglers arranged a Catamaran trip to Moreton Island. This participant, we assisted to tender around the famous Tangalooma shipwrecks, sit on the front of a beautiful catamaran with the wind in their face. We have also facilitated boat trips for this participant locally to re-live their fishing days from their own boat.
- Several participants with a very keen desire to learn photography are now learning some amazing techniques, 1 of these participants, have now got their own website, business cards and are moving forward with their dream.
- A participant, again, another wheelchair participant has a love of V8 Supercars, did we organise for them to watch the cars? NO! Able Anglers went one better and arranged for them to ride inside the car and receive a video of the trip.
As you can see, this is only 4 examples of some of the amazing things out team do for our participants, if we stopped looked for the next adventure and read some of our participant’s reviews, we would have a big head 🙂
Oh ok, let’s look at a couple for a minute;
- “This page/organisation has TRULY hit the heart strings. As most of you possibly know, my youngest squidlet is high special needs and I can only imagine the older he gets, the tougher “inclusion” may get. Thank you Able Anglers for what you do ”
- “My son Joseph had a fabulous day yesterday with Able Anglers going across to Moreton. Joe is in a wheelchair but the guys got hIm on the catamaran no problem. The atmosphere on the boat was one of friendship, everyone looking out for each other. The support workers helped out whoever needed help. The guys fished, joked, laughed and shared stories. Thanks to Steve’s dedication to breaking down barriers, everyone had the opportunity to fully experience and enjoy the day. I went along to support Joe but enjoyed the day as much as Joe did. Thank you Steve and crew we will be going again.”
- “Moreton Bay able anglers has been helping me give social support to a few of my clients since November 2019, the service is one of the best I have found providing everything needed for a rewarding day fishing, chatting and enjoying the beautiful Moreton Bay Area !
My client doesn’t stop thanking me after a day with Steve.
I highly recommend this service for participants and feel truly grateful to have linked with This wonderful service.”
- “Having always fished and gone boating, I wasn’t prepared to be diagnosed severely disabled at age 50, and to no longer have the ability to drive boats or to cast a fishing line again. NDIS put me in touch with Steve from Able Anglers and I now go fishing weekly, with help from Steve and a carer. It has changed my life for the better, I am now back enjoying the company of the fishing group, and being near the water again. Steve is a beaut bloke, who understands our needs and limitations through personal experiences. On the BBQ boat there is so much fun, and we enjoy a BBQ lunch and each other’s company. Steve’s company Able Anglers in unique in that he doesn’t focus on the bottom line, just my fishing line in the water and the happiness it gives me.”
- “I took a client to Able Anglers, we had the best time! Steve is very kind and easy going man. He understands that everybody has specific requirements and caters to that. He also has many fishing tips and happy to answer any questions. I would 100% recommend Able Anglers to everybody! Can’t wait to go out fishing with them again.😁🐟🐟🐟”
- “Steve was very friendly, helpful and professional towards not only myself and my Son, but everyone who attended the group session. My Son felt very comfortable and included, it was wonderful to see.
- “As someone who had a very literal fear of boats, with ADHD and anxiety making that almost impossible to budge, I can say this, Steve is amazing. Not only did I feel safe, he actually took the time to show me how everything works, and then showed me sone awesome fishing tips/spots.
A genuinely awesome guy.”
- “I would like to thank Steve and the crew on such an awesome day. The experience was amazing all crew onboard were helpful laid back. They were very respectfully towards our clients with mental illness and disability accommodating to there needs and going above and beyond all expectations and making sure everyone was enjoying and getting the best experience possible. I would highly recommend Able Anglers and will be coming out agian. I couldn’t possibly thank you all enough on you efforts. ”
- “I have had the pleasure to attend able anglers fishing boats and Moreton island trips numerous times as a support worker. The team and Steve are nothing short of amazing they go above and beyond to ensure participants receive the best experience possible.
Every time you attend it’s a different experience, it’s always positive. For the day you get to forget about everything it’s just you, the rod, the water and good company. It’s a perfect escape for everyone and a safe space to talk about anything! Everyone has your back.
I highly recommend becoming an Able Angler, you will be welcomed with laughs, kindness and a memorable experience every time.
Thanks to the whole team!
- “I always have the best time and enjoy myself I highly recommend Able Anglers thanks for everything you guys have done to make this an amazing service”
- “Today I participated, for the first time, in a fishing morning with Steve’s group. It was great. Steve provided the right amount of support without overwhelming or disempowering…..a great morning on the Woody Point jetty. Thanks Steve”